Banana bread is always a winning option in my family: classic, comforting, tasteful, easy to make… great for kids of all ages 🙂
I’ve been playing with some recipes and I think I have found the PERFECT one: moist, tasty, healthy, no processed sugar, gluten-free… it ticks all the boxes!
Try it out and let me know what you think!
- ⅓ cup melted extra-virgin olive oil or high quality vegetable oil
- ½ cup honey or maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 ½ medium or 2 large bananas)
- 1 and 1/2 cups milk of choice or water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- (Optional) ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus more to swirl on top
- 1 ¾ cups coconut flour
- (Optional) ½ cup mix-ins like chopped walnuts or pecans, chocolate chips, raisins, chopped dried fruit, fresh banana slices…
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit (165 degrees Celsius) and grease a loaf pan or cake pan.
- In a large bowl, beat the oil and honey together together with a whisk. Add the eggs and beat well, then whisk in the mashed bananas and milk/water.
- Add the baking soda, vanilla, salt and cinnamon, and whisk to blend. Lastly, switch to a big spoon and stir in the flour, just until combined. Some lumps are ok! If you’re adding any additional mix-ins, add them now and gently mix.
- Pour the batter into your greased pan and sprinkle lightly with cinnamon (optional). If you’d like a pretty swirled effect, run the tip of a knife across the batter in a zig-zag pattern.
- Bake for 45 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean (I like it very moist, so I remove it at 45 min). Let the bread cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer it to a wire rack to cool for 20 minutes before slicing.
Recipe adapted from Cookie and Kate